Distribution and characteristics of molar-incisor hypomineralization
Ministry of Defance, Serbia
Background/Aim. Developmental disorders of teeth are the problems that are becoming more present in pediatric dentistry, especially on first permanent molars and incisors. Molar Incisor Hypomineralization (MIH) is proposed term for this phenomenon. The aim of this study was to establish the MIH prevalence in children living in the Foča municipality (Bosnia and Herzegovina) as well as to assess characteristics and expression of hypomineralization within the tested population. Methods. A total of 141 children from the Foča municipality, 8 years of age, were included in this study. Criteria according to Weerhejm have been used for diagnosis of hypomineralization: demarcated opacity (DO), post-eruptive breakdown (PEB), atypical restoration (AR), extracted molars due to MIH (E-MIH) and unerupted tooth (UT). Level and the prominence of color changes have been determined for patients with DO, PEB and AR. Results. MIH in this area was present in 12.8% of children. The prevalence of MIH changes expressed in percentages was as follows: DO was at 9.2%, PEB in 3.5%, AR in 5.6%, while E-MIH was 5.6%. A total of 9.9% of the examinees had mild, 5.6% moderate, and 7.8% severe form of MIH. White form of MIH defects was found in 9.9% of the examinees, white-yellow one in 5.6% and yellow-brown color in 3.5% of the examined children. These changes were more often present in the lower jaw (60.3%). In total, 6.4% of children had these changes present only on molars, while 6.4% of them both on molars and incisors simultaneously. Conclusion. A total of 12.8% of the examinees with MIH is not to be disregarded. With timely diagnosis, prevention and therapy complications could be avoided or mitigated.
tooth demineralization; dentition, permanent, child; bosnia-herzegovina; molar; prevalence